17 Como Street, Alphington
"Balclutha" was built c1889 for Peter Fanning. Fanning was prosperous during the 1850s to 1878 and was elected to the Heidelberg Road Board in 1868, the Shire Council in 1871 and to the Shire Presidency in 1877. Fanning lived there until his death in 1905. The property was then owned by fruit merchant Edwin Mason. The house - possibly designed by the architectural firm Twentyman and Askew - has been classified by The National Trust.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.