217 Clarke Street, Northcote
The Edwardian building "Mandalay" was built in 1912, alongside "Lugano" at 215 Clarke Street, by Lawrence E. Edwards, a master builder. Edwards lived in "Lugano" and leased "Mandalay"; firstly to Hugh Haynes, an accountant, then Eric Lesley, a chemist and later, in 1916, Alice Murphy, also a chemist. The building's floor plan was the right-handed version of "Lugano's". While much of "Lugano " has been retained, "Mandalay" has been altered and extended.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.
(1989, March 8). Northcote Leader (Northcote, Vic. : 1882 - )
Ward, Andrew (2001). Darebin Heritage Review 2000. Burwood, Vic: City Of Darebin.