Regent & Clara Street, Preston Land Sale
Stott & Bastings Real Estate Agents advertised an auction for blocks of land for sale in Clara Street and fronting onto Regent Street, Preston. As Clara Street first appears in street directories in 1923 we can assume the sale took place around this period.
The street adjacent to Clara Street on the land sale poster is called Michell Street (also spelled Michael and Michel on some documents) but from 1929 the name was changed to Bayliss Street.
38 allotments of land were advertised for sale in Clara Street which was described as being conveniently located only 2 minutes’ walk to the Electric Tram Terminus and 3 minutes from Regent Railway Station.
Terms of sale were £2 10 shillings deposit with monthly balance up to 3 years with 6% interest charged.
A Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map in 1928 shows only 10 properties completely built on the street, but progress slowly took place with the addition of Rayner Court which appears on today’s landscape.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.
Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works detail plan. 2403, Preston. MMBW Date 1928
City of Preston. Re-named Streets list. Darebin Libraries local history files
Digital copies of land sale posters donated by Jeanette Jones