Joshua Pitt Pty, Ltd. 52-58 Gadd Street, Northcote
Joshua Pitt was born in 1857, the son of George and Anne Pitt (nee Flashington). In 1886 he married Louisa Swan and the couple set up home in Northcote. In 1900 Joshua Pitt Pty. Ltd's tannery first began operation in the industrial suburb around Gadd Street. Known as Croxton Park Tannery, this business lasted a century.
Joshua Pitt Pty. Ltd. was one of Northcote's foremost leather manufacturers. By the 1930s it was treating over 60,000 hides per annum. Employing over 200 people it exported belts to England, China and Java. Following the death of Joshua Pitt in 1927, the business was run by his two sons, Joshua Pitt Jr. A third generation, George and Robert Pitt were later to run the business. The business continued operating through the century before completely ceasing in 2002.
City of Northcote (1933). Northcote Jubilee celebrations 1883 – 1933 : souvenir & official program. Northcote: Author.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.