6 Francis Grove, Northcote
'Benvenuta' was built in 1885 by tanner and local Councillor, Thomas Hicks McLean. McLean served two terms as Mayor before leaving council in 1899. Mclean sold 'Benvenuta' to Charles Trescowthick, owner of a boot factory in Clifton Hill, and left Northcote in1905 for Ararat. From 1919, the land surrounding the house was gradually sold off and new houses began appearing around it. The house still stands today. An alternative spelling of Benvenula appears in the Darebin Heritage Review.
Ward, Andrew (2001). Darebin Heritage Review 2000, Vol. 2. Burwood, Vic: City Of Darebin