Coburg Pine Ridge Cemetery

The Cobury Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Darebin, being twice the size of Preston Cemetery. 

In  April 1860 Trustees were appointed for a new general cemetery to be established at Pentridge.   These were William Anketell, John Buck Kendeal, Stephen Egan, Thomas Dunn, George Oliphant Duncan, Robert Cole and Thomas Peach.   At the same time new cemeteries were to be established at Emerald Hill, Muckleford and Oakleigh.

In April 1862 Richard Waters interred his wife at the Pentridge Cemetery.  It was one of the first advertised funerals at the new cemetery.   By 1971 52,000 people were buried at the cemetery and it was closed to new burials with the only interments since then being in existing grave sites. 




Friends of Coburg Cemetery

Search Coburg Pine Ridge Cemetery 

THE GAZETTE.  Appointments.  (1860, April 7) The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), p.7

FUNERAL NOTICE. (1862, November 21) The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), p.8