Jewish Cemetery, Northcote
According to Edmund Finn, author of “The chronicles of early Melbourne”, the first Jewish cemetery was situated on the Northcote side of the Merri Creek between High Street and Heidelberg Road, although the exact location of the site is unknown. The land had been donated by an early Jewish colonist by the name of Mr. Abraham.
The sole burial at the site was Miss Young, the daughter of a Melbourne publican. The ground proved so rocky that digging the grave proved difficult. Although the task was completed, the body was later exhumed and reburied in Hobart. There were no other recorded burials at the site.
Finn, Edmund (1976) The Chronicles of early Melbourne 1835 – 1852 : historical, anecdotal and personal. Melbourne: Heritage Publications