Butchers' Arms Hotel
The Butchers' Arms Hotel briefly flickered into life in 1867-1868. We know little else about it. The publican was John Turnbull, who in July 1869 instructed the sale by auction of his property including
'...couch, chairs, tables, carpets, drawers, from bedsteads and bedding, washstand and ware, clocks, pictures, crockery, kitchen utensils, and various other goods: including two pigs.'
The directories only give the address as High Street Northcote, however it is possible that it was the former Northcote Arms Hotel located in Queens Parade. At that time Queens Parade was known as High Street or Northcote Road.
The hotel had operated under the names Northcote Arms Hotel and the Egremont Hotel but had ceased operating in 1865. It reopened briefly as the Northcote Arms Hotel again in 1871 before closing for good. The time frame fits for the Butchers Arms to have operated from there but at this time there is insufficient evidence to be sure
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. Unpublished manuscript.
Edge, Gary (2004). Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne: Darebin Libraries.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.
Various articles 1871-1921. The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956).