Watson and Paterson's Bacon Factory
Corner Dundas and Plenty Road Preston
The factory was built in 1862 on the corner of Dundas Street and Plenty Road, Preston by 2 Scotsmen - William Watson and William Paterson. They created the Pioneer Brand. After Watson moved to Queensland in 1890, Paterson continued the business, and was Preston Shire President from 1899-1900. His family continued to work at the factory after German-born Otto Wurth bought the factory in 1958. It was run by KR Castlemaine until August 2006 when they closed the factory and operations moved to Castlemaine. A plaque near the original site commemorates the contribution to the industry to Preston, which describes it as 'pork town'.
Preston Leader (2006, August 22)