Plenty Motors opened its doors in 1925 and continued operating from the same site on the corner of High Street and David Street until at least 1974. Now a commercial shop, it bares little resemblance to its days as a garage. The garage made an immediate impact when it was chosen as the site of the first outer suburban ambulance service. This continued until a custom built station could be constructed for the ambulance service. The service covered Preston, Northcote and Heidelberg.
Plenty Motors not only serviced cars and sold petrol but also was a car sales room and sold both Fords and Chevrolets as part of its inventory. As part of the Made in Australia week in 1930 Plenty Motors exhibited the latest Ford motor vehicle body. The Ford factory in Geelong could assemble at car in just under nine hours, including building the chassis frames, painting, trims, and a road test.
In July 1931, engineer Stanley Hughes attempted to steal petrol from the bowser at Plenty Motors, damaging the bowser in the process. At that time the owner of Preston Motors was Herbert Stewart.
Mr W. Maltzhan was the owner of Plenty Motors by 1934 and represented the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce at a motor trade meeting in June of that year.
In 1942 a large amount of engineering equipment and tools were sold as the business changed hands. Amongst the items sold included lathes, drills, hydraulic hoses, spanners, pulleys, etc.
By the early 2000's the building was Gary's Car Radio and has since become a clothing shop.
AMBULANCE SERVICE. FIRST OUTER SUBURBAN STATION (1925, September 2) The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), p.11
ADVERTISING (1942, May 2) The Age (Melbounre, vic. 1854 - 1954), p.10MADE IN AUSTRALIA CAR BODY. INTERESTING EXHIBITION AT PRESTON (1930, July 18). Advertiser (Melbourne, Vic. : 1922-1939), p.2
AN UNREGISTERED CAR. ENGINEER HEAVILY FINED. (1931, July 31). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), p.9Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.