47 Wales Street (cnr. Speight Street), Thornbury
In 1915 a combined corner store and home was built on the corner of Wales Street and Speight Street Thornbury. W. McWilliams operated a confectionery from the shop. Later on Joshiah McWilliams also plied his trade as boot maker from the same premises. The shop was ideally located as a confectionery store as it was directly across the road from the Wales Street Primary School, the perfect market for its wares.
By 1941 W. McWilliams still lived in the house but E. Webb now operated the boot making business. Over the next thirty years it was to change regularly with W. Chandler reverting to its original confectionery in 1951. By the 1960s it had become a drapers, firstly under Miss J. Hossack, and later with R. E. Glenn. The building is no longer used commercially.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.