Northcote Football Club
In the second half of the nineteenth century, Australian Football became the number one pastime in Melbourne, and Northcote was no exception. Several clubs were started and disbanded before the Northcote Football Club, which would become a powerhouse VFA side in the 1930s, was born in 1898. It was admitted to the VFA in 1908. Wearing Green and Gold and nicknamed the Brickfielders (because of the brickworks in the area), Northcote was the VFA’s top side in the 1930s, winning five Premierships between 1929 and 1936, from seven Grand Final appearances. Star players included Doug Nicholls and Frank Seymour (ex-Carlton). After this golden era, the inability of the club to capture a wide following in the local area saw a gradual decline in resources and quality of play. A loyal, yet small band of supporters cheered on as Northcote won second division VFA Premierships in 1961 and 1982, but these highlights were few and far between. Northcote, who took the nickname The Dragons in the mid 1970s, endured constant financial hardships, which saw them close to expulsion from the VFA in 1953 and again in 1984 before finally succumbing after the 1987 season.
Fiddian, Marc. (2004). The VFA: A history of the Victorian Football Association (1877-1995). Melbourne: The Author.
Lemon, Andrew. (1983). The Northcote Side of the River, North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Membrey, Brian. (2003). The pubs, the parks and the Rose. [unpublished manuscript].