George Watson (c.1828-1906)
George Watson was the starter for most of the race meetings at the Red House, the hotel and sporting venue in High Street, Northcote that was later renamed the Croxton Park. Watson was one of the founding committee members of the Victoria Racing Club and was made starter for Flemington race meetings in 1867. He was officiating at VRC race meetings since the formation of the club and had officiated at other courses prior to that, including a race meeting at Preston in 1858. On that day his horse had won the steeplechase. Watson owned many racehorses and was also a bloodstock agent. He was often referred to as the ‘Prince of Starters’. Watson was also master of the Melbourne Hounds for 40 years, where he was noted as an outstanding amateur rider and acted in an honorary role throughout his time on the committee of the VRC and as the starter of the races.
Membrey, Brian (2003)? The pubs, the parks and the Rose. Unpublished manuscript.
Pacini, John. (1988). A century galloped by: The first hundred years of the Victoria Racing Club. Melbourne: Victoria Racing Club.
Cavanough, Maurice. (1983). The Melbourne Cup, 1861-1982. South Yarra: Currey O’Neil.