James Marriott opened his boathouse at the end of Alphington Street, Alphington in 1891. It flourished briefly with Marriott even operating a steam service to the Studley Park Boathouse. In 1904 the Rudder Grange tea rooms opened and the two businesses operated together. Soon afterwards the Rudder Grange boathouse became the sole operator
Lacey, Geoff (2004). Still glides the stream : the natural history of the Yarra from Heidelberg to Yarra Bend. Melbourne : Australian Scholarly Publishing.