Outer Circle Railway Line
The plan for an Outer Circle Railway Line was first presented in the 1884 Railways Bill. It proposed an outer circle line that would branch off at Alphington, cross the Yarra and travel across country by Kew and Camberwell to the Gippsland Railway at Oakleigh.
The section linking Fairfield and Camberwell opened on 24 March 1891 and closed in 1893. It was a financial disaster from the start. The original bridge is part of today's Chandler Highway and a small part of this line survives today as a goods siding running from beyond Fairfield Station to the former AMCOR Australian Paper Manufacturers' factory on Heidelberg Road.