If you're thinking about donating items to our collection, check out our frequently asked questions.
Can I donate items to Darebin Libraries?
We are grateful to receive donations of resources that meet the selection criteria of our Collection Development Guidelines. Resources should be offered by the donor without conditions. Any donation you make becomes the property of the library and are therefore non returnable.
Where can I donate?
Please take your donations into a branch of Darebin Libraries during opening hours and speak with a staff member. Darebin Libraries reserves the right to check all donations prior to acceptance.
Please don't leave donations at the library doors, all items must be given to a staff member.
What can I donate?
Books in 'as new' condition and with a publication date within the past two years.
- Local history items are can be older and not in 'as new' condition
Unacceptable items include, but are not limited to:
- encyclopedias and textbooks
- audio-visual material or software including videos and DVDs
- items containing outdated information
- magazines (including National Geographic and Reader's Digest)
- items in poor physical condition, for example: broken spine, mouldy, water damaged, missing or yellowed pages, etc
- junior non fiction books
What happens to donations?
Acceptable donations are processed and added to our library collection and will be made available at any of our branches. We reserve the right to discard donations at any time and by any means deemed appropriate.