Henry Lane arrived from England in 1855 within a year had purchased eleven acres in East Preston. By 1864 he had expanded his farm by another 17½ acres and won a reputation for the quality of his swine and poultry. As well as farming Lane built several properties in Northcote and served as a director of the Queenscliff Gas Company.
Victoria and its metropolis. Melbourne. McCarron, Bird & Co. 1888.