W. (Les) McDonald
(1885 – 1953)
A veteran of the First World War, Les McDonald was a building contractor in Preston during the 1920s. As such, McDonald was responsible for the building of St Mary’s Church of England hall (cnr. Plenty Road and Tyler Street, East Preston).
After losing his business during the depression, McDonald got a job at Preston Council, eventually rising to position of Building Inspector and City Valuer. His major contribution to the City of Preston was his role as fund raiser for PANCH. As head of the “Special Efforts for Preston and Northcote Hospital” organisation, McDonald played a key role in raising over £25,000 towards the upkeep of the hospital.
Preston Historical Society (1968). Brief biographies of prominent Preston People. Preston, Vic: Author.