Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Thornbury
28 Shaftsbury Parade, Thornbury
The first minuted meeting of the Holy Trinity congregation was held on 7th March 1887. From 1887 to 1907 the church was an out-centre of All Saints Northcote. The original church site was 5 St. David Street, Thornbury. Holy Spirit became a parish in its own right on Jan 1, 1907 when the church moved to a more central location at the corner of Shaftesbury Parade and Stott Street, Thornbury.
Holy Trinity Church was burnt down in January 1932. The vicar, Rev Wilfred Chamberlain launched an appeal and gathered enough money to lay a new foundation stone in August of the following year, and the rebuilt church re-opened four months later on December 10. Archbishop Head officiated at the consecration and dedication of the new buildings which included church, parish hall and vicarage.
In 1972 members of the Antioch community began renting out the church and holding services there. They came to an agreement to purchase the Church from the Anglican community and in the early 1980s was renamed the St. George’s Antiochian Orthodox Church.