Northcote Baptist Church
542 High Street, Northcote
The Northcote Baptist church first held services on July 8, 1905 in the Friendly Societies' Hall in Wimble Street, Northcote and later at Kimberley Hall on the corner of St David and Darebin Street. The church was first constituted on May 20, 1906 and the new church building was opened in December 1909. It was described as having, ‘a solid and very presentable exterior, and a bright and most pleasing interior’ with enough room for 350 attendees and excellent ventilation. It was built by a local firm Messrs J. Bennell and Son who were cheered in the opening ceremony.
Rev. F. C. Spurr, of the Collins Street Baptist Church preached the firm sermon, ‘enthralling the crowded congregation with his eloquent discourse’. Rev. D. E. Harry and Rev J. H. Goble also preached. Also in attendance were the Mayor and Mayoress, Cr. and Mrs W. Hayes, and other town councillors with their wives. The service began with singing In Verdure Clad by Mrs. Hoskins. Mrs. Reid played the organ. Mr. George Connor sang a solo.
A new Church (1909, December 3). Fitzroy City Press, p. 3.
Opening of NEW BAPTIST Church: Successful Celebrations (1909, December 4). Northcote Leader, p. 2.
Special Jubilee Issue. (1976, July 14). Preston Post Times (Melbourne, Vic: 1978 - 2001), p. 10.