Prince of Wales Park Wesleyan Church, Thornbury

66 St. David Street, Thornbury

The history of Prince of Wales Park church began on July 4th, 1891 at a meeting held to discuss the building of a church on land purchased on the corner of St. David and Fenwick Streets, Thornbury. Mr James Scott was appointed architect and the church was to accommodate 150 people. The church was initially lit with kerosene as gas proved to be too expensive at the time. It was not until 1908 that gas was first installed and electricity was connected in 1921.The church was opened on November 1, 1891.

On August 10th, 1896 the local trust voted in favour of Methodist and Wesleyan Church union. In 1902 an attempt was made to buy land next to the church but, due to the high cost, was abandoned and a block of land was purchased on the corner of Speight and St. David Streets with a view to moving the present church to the new site. The old site was sold and turned into residential blocks.

The new church opened in 1903 and more land was purchased at the rear of the church in 1906. In 1918, plans were submitted – the architect was Alex Eggleston -  for a new church building to be  built out of brick. The foundation stone for this building was finally laid on December 2, 1922 and the church was opened for service in October 1923.

The church's pipe organ had an interesting history; it came to the church after first being installed and built by Speechly & Jeepun (London) for Melbourne’s Athenaeum Hall, in 1853. It was sold to St Andrew's in Brighton and St Thomas's in Essendon before been purchased by Prince of Wales Park in 1922 for 650 pounds.

In June 1977, the Methodist Church united with the Presbyterian and Congregational Church creating The Uniting Church of Australia. On January 1st 1986 the congregations of Rossmoyne Street and Prince of Wales Park became the Thornbury Congregation and the Prince of Wales Park church was sold to the Greek Orthodox Community of Victoria. The church is now named St. George Greek Orthodox Church.

Darebin Libraries.  "Prince of Wales Park" Uniting Church (formerly Methodist): 1891-1986 booklet. Local History File:  Preston Library.