Doolan Brothers - Blacksmiths and Wheelwrights, Preston
Plenty Road, Preston (1848 - 1919)
The Doolan brothers arrived in Preston in 1848 and soon established a blacksmiths on the west side of Plenty Road just north of the Rose, Shamrock and Thistle Hotel. Blacksmiths and hotels were commonly located near each other and provided a good deal of crossover trade.
Baldwin Doolan lived on the opposite side of Plenty Road to the forge and therefore was readily on hand to deal with any carriage mishaps which may occur on the rough and ready roads of the 1840s and 50s.
An unfortunate incident occurred at the forge in February 1895 when George Leslie, a 70 year old living at the rear of the forge, was assaulted in his bed. He was badly beaten in the attack which was believed to have been motivated by robbery.
The blacksmith closed in 1919 as the motor car replaced horse and carriage, making blacksmiths largely redundant.
Carroll, Brian & Rule, Ian (1985). Preston: an Illustrated History. Preston: City of Preston.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.