Northcote Refrigeration and Ice Works
20 Arthurton Road, Northcote
The Northcote & District Ice and Cold Storage Works began its life in Arthurton Road in 1921, later changing its name to the Northcote Refrigeration and Iceworks. It had been established by Tom Gannon, who had a career in blacksmithing and engineering before turning to the ice trade. The company started small but expanded gradually over the next few years. During the Second World War the company was congratulated on its contributions to the war effort. Afterwards it built on its reputation and gained an Australia wide reputation. Business was so good that the company had a second site in Arthurton Road (no.4) which it used as display premises. The company closed in 1970 and the site was redeveloped.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.
Northcote Leader. 29 June 1955