Sterling Soap Company
Oakover Road, Preston
Ernest W Mylius originally operated a soap manufacturing business in Adam Street, Richmond, until 1909 when the company moved to Oakover Road, Preston and was established as the Sterling Soap Company. His son Stanley E Mylius began as an understudy to his father and produced neutral curd soaps that were sold to woollen and textile mills both in Victoria and interstate. The company also produced household and laundry soap - including “White Sterling”, the largest 8d bar on the market - for many years at Oakover Road until it closed around 1970.
Jones, Roger (1994). Back in them days: an oral history of Preston. Melbourne: City of Preston
(1914, August). Northcote Leader (Northcote, Vic. : 1882 - ), p. 3.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.