113 High Street Northcote - Shops
The parcel of land immediately to the north of Westgarth Street Northcote was solid in 1837 to George Urquhart for £447. Urquhart resided in Queensland and was unlikely to have ever visited Northcote.
Shops were relatively slow to appear along High Street in Westgarth and when 113 and two ajoining shops were constructed in 1916 the small shopping precinct was only 50% built up.
Lilly Rothwell was the first business to operate from 113 High Street and she ran a drapers there from 1917 through to 1930. In that year Miss. E. Jones took over and the shop became a children's hairdresser. In 1938 it still operated as such under the guidance of Mrs E. Daley. This could, of course be the same as Miss Jones, now operating under her married name.
By the 1940s Mrs Landy had turned the shop into a children's clothing shop and it continued to operate as such until 1960 by which time it was known as Tiny Tots. In 1961 the shop was taken over by J. Sanders, boot repairer. Sanders operated there until at least 1974. The site is currently (2016) being operated as The Denn restaurant.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974 [microfiche] (1974) Melbourne: Sands & McDougall.