Plant's Paddock was located on the east side of High Street Northcote at the base of Rucker's Hill. Owned by George Plant in the 1870s, it was the site of many sporting events hosted by the hotel. Pigeon shooting was just one of the many activities run by Plant. It was also the home for the Northcote Cricket Club. In 1884 Plant sold the land to the Victorian Railways Department for £4,000. The Department had been keen to acquire the land as part of their plans for a circle railway passing through Northcote, Clifton Hill and Heidelberg. The railway circle scheme was later abandoned. In 1901 the Railway Department subdivided and sold off the land, prices ranging from 15 to 44 shillings per foot. A small section of landing adjoining Pearl Street was put aside in 1906 for use as a bowling club.
Membrey, Brian (2003)? The pubs, the parks and the Rose. Unpublished manuscript.
Swift, William George (1928). The history of Northcote: From its first settlement to a city. Northcote, Vic: Leader Publishing.