Fairhaven was a venereal diseases hospital established in 1927 on the site of the Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum. The hospital used the weatherboard buildings previously used as the men's quarters of the asylum. Run by the Mission of St. James and St. John the hospital closed down in 1951 after the discovery of penicillin made dramatic inroads in the treatment of these diseases. The buildings then were given a third life and used for the Fairlea Women's Prison.
Russell, Emma. (1998). Fairlea : the history of a women's prison 1956 - 1996. Kew: Core Publications.