Sargent’s Cakes at 40 Edwardes Street Reservoir was established in 1952 by James Percy G. Sargent and his son James Arthur Sargent. James Percy was the manager of the cake shop. James Arthur, who served in World War One, was the pastry cook. James Percy passed away in 1967 and his son took over ownership of the business. James Arthur took on his neighbour's son Barry Sharwood as an apprentice. They worked very well together and Barry Sharwood bought the business in 1982. Sargent’s Cakes had become an institution in Reservoir so the family decided to keep the name to honour the Sargent's family. In 1997, Barry's son Paul and his wife Kim took over the business and they run it today. Although they focus on cakes, they also make savoury pastries.
Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985
Australia, WWII Second Australian Imperial Forces and Citizen Military Forces Service Records, 1939-1947
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.
Sargent’s Cakes. Retrieved July 28, 2020, from http://www.sargentscakes.com.au
Shining the light on Sargents Cakes with Kim and Paul Sharwood. Retrieved July 28, 2020, from https://www.mcphailandpartners.com.au/shining-the-light-on-sargents-cakes-with-kim-and-paul-sharwood/