cnr Darebin Road and St David Street, Thornbury
On 2 June 1900, Mrs Chester of the Lilliputian Opera Company opened the Kimberley Hall on the corner of Darebin Road and St. David Street, Thornbury. The Mayor of Northcote, Cr. Bastings gave a speech and the Opera Company provided entertainment for the guests. Although built primarily to fulfil the stage requirements of the opera company the hall also provided a much needed community space. The hall itself was a basic building with little in the way of amenities however it could seat 400 people and was one of the few community meeting places outside the town hall and local pubs. The hall was named after the South African town of Kimberley, where the Lilliputian Opera Company had recently returned from. The town was later besieged by Boer forces during the South African war. The hall was used on every Saturday afternoon by Miss Pollard, who operated dancing classes, offering instruction to both adults and children. After the First World War the building was dismantled and removed.
Lemon, Andrew (1983) Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne :Hargreen
Northcote Leader (Melbourne), Newspaper, Northcote 1882 –
Swift, William George (1928) The history of Northcote: From its First Settlement to a City. Northcote Vic :Leader Publishing.