In March 1928, former auction rooms in Epping Road (later High Street) advertised motion pictures for the first time. On either side of the the entrance were 2 former shops, one housing the projection equipment, the other the ticket box. Pictures were shown twice a week. By 1933, during the Depression, it became the Palais de Dance and was used for various social events as well as showing films, but was closed in August 1935 by the Health Department of Victoria. The building was of rudimentary design with an unlined tin roof and exterior toilets on either side of the screen end (the rear) of the building. It was re-opened in June 1936 with fewer seats.
In July 1943, A. Harwood took over control from R. Mathison, and the name was changed from Palais to Plaza. Various alterations were made, but it wasn't enough and Consolidated Theatres, who were now in control, erected a new auditorium next door in 1955. The former Plaza was remodelled, opening in 1955 and was one of the first built with Cinemascope presentations in mind.
By 1968, control had passed through Victoria Theatres to Village Drive-ins and was called Cinema North.
In 1975, a Christie organ was installed by the Theatre Organ Society and Cinema North was used for regular concerts. During 1981 another auditorium was added at the rear of the foyer(old cinema), and was named The Oriental. The main auditorium had been renamed The Merion and had been up-dated from the 1950s to the 1970s style. Under the Village banner, it was called Cinema North Centre or Village Reservoir. With the advent of the cinema complex at Northland Shopping Centre and by 1990, developers had acquired the site and The Merion was demolished to make way for shops. The Oriental continued to operate until 1993.It was being used by a church group on Sundays.
Kilderry, David. Reservoir Palais/Plaza/Cinema North. CinemaRecord: Issue 8, June 1995.