Owen Burgess - Blacksmith and Wheelwright, Northcote

High Street, Northcote (c1860 - 1888)

Owen Burgess was a blacksmith operating on the east side of High Street just below Clarke Street. The entrance to the blacksmiths was along a graded track, with just enough room for a vehicle to pass. The forge was demolished when construction work began on the widening of the embankment on Rucker’s Hill.

Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.

Swift, William George (1928). The history of Northcote: From its first settlement to a city. Northcote, Vic: Leader Publishing.