25 Prospect Grove, Northcote
"Grand View" was built in 1892, during the Marvellous Melbourne period, by William Smith, a Glaswegian butcher, who built the house on what was known then as Bastings Street Hill (now known as Northcote Hill), overlooking his bacon factory on the flats of Fairfield. The house has two facades - a private entrance in Prospect Grove and what appears to be the business entrance in Mitchell Street, which also features a fenced, cast-iron, veranda. The house includes many original features including ceiling roses, marbled mantelpieces, recessed cornices, and scrolled arches. Both doorways have sidelights of ruby and cobalt blue glass, depicting thistles - a sign of Mr Smith's ancestry.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.