Alfred Hurlston - Miller

Preston Steam Flour Mill (1856 – 1887)

Alfred Hurlston came from a milling family. His father Peter had managed a mill in Janefield. In 1856 Alfred moved to Preston and established the Preston Steam Flour Mill on the corner of Wood and High Street, opposite Woods General Store. During this time Hurlston was the superintendent of the Methodist Church in High Street with Samuel Jeffrey serving as the layman. In 1872 this mill closed and the business transferred to High Street and was called the South Preston Mill. In 1887 Alfred’s sons converted the mill for chaff and corn crushing. This mill was located on the east side of High Street just above the Junction Hotel.

Forster, Harley W. (1968). Preston Lands and People. Melbourne: Cheshire.

Jones, Lewis & Jones, Peggy (1990). The flour mills of Victoria 1840 – 1990: an historical record. Melbourne: Flour Millers' Council of Victoria.

Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.