William J. Inglis

Main Image

(1873 – 1944)

William Inglis was the founder of a well known timber and hardware store at 188 Plenty Road, Preston, on the corner of Plenty Rd and Osborne Grove. Started in 1921, the store was the site of a former chemical factory. The company prospered and continued to grow, becoming a registered company in 1924. The company established further branches in Geelong and Colac. After the death of Inglis in 1944, William’s son Stanley took over the company in 1946 and ran it until the 1970s when it was sold to H. Parsons Coburg Timber and Hardware Pty. Ltd.

Preston Historical Society (1968). Brief biographies of prominent Preston People. Preston, Vic: Author.

Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.