John F. Jacobs - Baker
610 High Street, Preston
In 1855 John F. Jacobs operated one of the earliest stores in Preston. Two small, adjoining, weatherboard buildings offered a bakery and grocery and a hay and corn store. The shops were located on the corner of High and Regent Streets. Jacobs would be frequently seen carrying a keg of yeast on his back as he made his way back to his bakery from Melbourne.
Jacobs travelled widely selling his wares, even selling his bread as far away as South Morang.
Preston Leader(Melbourne), Newspaper, Preston 1978 -