Bastings Street, Northcote
Bastings Street owes its name to Edwin Bastings who, as an early Northcote pioneer, established a general store on High Street, facing what was to become Bastings Street. Edwin Bastings had arrived in Northcote around 1854 and not only built the general store but with his brother Horace built the Peacock Inn Hotel.
The street was certainly in existence by 1865 probably for some time before that. Early residents in the street including Capper (who lived on the south side of Bastings street on the east corner of Garden Street) and McLellan whose house was located further down the hill on the south side of the street.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Township of Northcote map, 1865