Broomfield Estate, Fairfield
The Broomfield Estate comprised of allotments for sale in Broomfield Avenue which were first put on the market in 1888 during a Melbourne-wide huge boom in land sales.
At that time, Broomfield Avenue was classed as being in the suburb of Fairfield.
A poster advertising the sale shows its proximity not only to the railway station at Fairfield, but also of the Outer Circle Railway which was due to operate in the near future and would open up the line to Camberwell.
The line did indeed open, in 1891 but closed only two years later and proved to be a financial disaster. Parts of the track were used by the Alphington Paper Mill for many years.
The original railway bridge became part of the Chandler Highway.
Following the sale in 1888, Messrs. Grigg and Kimberley, the auctioneers, reported that they sold some of the land for prices ranging from £3 10s to £9 per foot. The total amount realised was £1463 19s 7d.
Later sales by auctioneers, Stott & Bastings continued to make headway on the estate.
In 1908, Lot 1 was described as containing 8 acres adjoining Mrs Tame’s residence, which was on Heidelberg Road, and running back to the railway. The estate was subdivided into allotments.
Several more sales took place over the next few years and by the end of the First World War, according to street directories, it appeared that most of the houses in the street had been built.
Lemon, Andrew. (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall
Caulfield and Elsternwick Leader (North Brighton, Vic: 1888 - 1902), Saturday 24 November 1888, page 7
Argus (Melbourne, Vic: 1848 - 1957), Saturday 28 November 1908, page 4
The Age (Melbourne, Vic: 1854-1954) Saturday 3 August 1912, p 9
Advertisement Scott & Bastings. Preston Leader 9Vic: 1914-1918) Saturday 24 January 1914, p 5